On January 1, 2012, the Dryden Regional Health Centre (DRHC) is subject to the The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). This law provides a general right of access to records under the custody or control of the DRHC subject to certain exclusion and exemptions, including the right to protection of Personal Information.
The Principles of FIPPA are:
- Information should be available to the public;
- Exemptions from the right of access should be limited and specific;
- Any person may make a request for information under FIPPA;
- Decisions on the disclosure may be appealed to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario;
- Protect personal information from unauthorized collection, use and disclosure while providing access to one’s own personal information.
Making a request for Information under FIPPA
To make a request for information held by the Dryden Regional Health Centre, an FIPPA Access Request Form may be used to:
- Make a request for access to general records of the DRHC;
- Make a request for personal information about yourself;
- Make a request to correct your personal information.
Completed form should be sent to:
Robert Van Oort, Senior Vice President,
Corporate Services / Chief Operating Officer
Dryden Regional Health Centre
58 Goodall Street, P.O. Box 3003,
Staff time required to locate and prepare records that contain personal information is free of charge, however, you may be charged for the cost of photocopying or other processing functions. For non-personal information you may be charged for the time required to locate and prepare records, photocopying, shipping and any other costs incurred in responding to the request.
Once a request is received along with the application fee ($5.00), a decision letter indicating the DRHC’s response will generally be issued within 30 days. This time period may be extended if the request involves a more extensive search. The letter shall also contain information on your right to appeal the decision of the DRHC to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario.
Any questions regarding FIPPA may be forwarded to the Director of Patient and Public Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org.