8:00 – 2:30 Monday to Friday
The laboratory provides clinical laboratory tests to some out-patients including oncology patients, patients seen by specialists at DRHC, patients who are on coumadin and those requiring glucose tolerance tests.
Will I have to pay for the test?
There are some tests that are not covered by OHIP, so there may be occasion where the patient is responsible for covering the costs of the test. Out-of-country patients must pay for their own tests.
How do I submit a specimen sample?
Procedures for Collection of Samples: Containers for all collection will be provided. Please follow the instructions of the circled procedure.
Return of Samples
- Return all samples and requisitions to the Lab Out-Patient area
- Hours of operation for specimen drop off are Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Please have your health card and requisition form available when you bring in your samples.
Any questions or concerns, please call 223-8201 Extension 1296/1297
How do I do a 24 hour urine collection?
Do not start collections on Friday or Saturday. All of the 24-hour urine must be collected for accurate results. The specimen is best if kept refrigerated until brought to the laboratory.
- Day 1 – A 24-hour urine container is obtained from the staff in the patient care area.
- When you wake up in the morning of the day you will start the test, the first thing you should do is void the first morning urine sample into the toilet to empty your bladder.
- From this point on, all through the day, you must collect ALL of your urine into the 24-hour urine container. Record the date and time of your first void on your order form. If a voided sample is not collected into the container, begin again. You must empty the container, rinse with tap water and start again.
- The 24-hour urine container must be stored in the refrigerator between collections.
- If you go out during the day, take the container with you. If you wake during the night to go to the bathroom, make sure you void your urine into the container.
- Day 2 – When you wake in the morning, collect the first voided urine specimen into the container. Your bladder is now empty and you are finished the collection.
- Tighten the lid on the container to prevent leakage. Label the container with your name, date sample collected and your date of birth. Refrigerate the container until you return
- Bring the container and requisition to the Lab Bloodwork area. At this time you may have a blood sample taken.
How do I collect a urine sample for culture (Culture and Urinalysis)?
- Cleanse the perineal area with a clean damp cloth.
- Begin to urinate your first morning sample into the toilet.
- Once urination has started, place the specimen bottle into the urine stream to obtain a sample.
- Remove the bottle before the flow of urine stops.
- Tighten the lid on the container to prevent leakage.
- Write your name, date sample collected and your date of birth on the outside of the container.
- Place the container into a ziplock bag and refrigerate.
- Bring the sample to the Lab Bloodwork area within 24 hours of collection.