Hours & Contact Information

Hours: 8:00 to 4:00 (closed from 12:00 – 1:00)

Location: Main floor, hallway between the inpatient unit and the cafeteria Phone:

Contact: Phone: 223-8201 ext 1265; Fax: 223-8478

The Rehabilitation Department is staffed by 6 physiotherapists, 5 occupational therapists, 2 rehabilitation assistants and 1 rehabilitation clerk.

Occupational Therapists (OTs) work with people who are affected by injury or disease to help them improve their ability to function in their daily lives. OT can assess the need for equipment such as wheelchairs and walkers and can fabricate splints and orthotics. They can suggest alternative ways of carrying out daily activities and also assess living and working spaces to ensure accessibility and functional living.

Physiotherapists work with people who are affected by injury or disease to improve movement and function and reduce pain. Physiotherapists use exercise, mobilization and adjuncts such as heat, ultrasound, TENS and acupuncture to accomplish the patient’s goals.

The Physiotherapists and Occupational therapists assess and treat patients who are in the hospital, outpatients and people in their homes.


Physiotherapists and occupational therapists are part of the care team for inpatients. The therapists assess the patient to identify the problems and set treatment goals with the patient. Patients, their families and therapists are partners in the treatment plan, along with other members of the healthcare team.


I am on a waiting list for therapy? How long will I have to wait?

Patient referrals are prioritized. It is our goal to see high priority patients within 5 business days. Some of those conditions that require treatment as soon as possible are: fractures, after cast removal, orthopedic surgeries, hand injury, recent strokes, severe sciatica or neck pain that radiates down the arm.

Patients with chronic pain or conditions that have persisted and are not changing rapidly are on a wait list for service.

The waitlist is too long: are there other options for physiotherapy service?

Physioquest at 156 Lakeside Drive is a private practice.  Patients who have extended health benefits through their employer may consider this private practice.  The phone number is 223-2732.

Mobility equipment and the Assistive Devices Program (ADP)

Occupational Therapists assess patients who need mobility equipment such as walkers, wheelchairs or scooters. The therapist will determine which equipment will best meet the needs of the patient, do a series of measurements and then write an application for that equipment.

The therapist sends the application to the Ministry of Health and Long-term care for funding under the Assistive Devices Program.

If the application is approved, the ADP program will pay 75% of the cost of the equipment; clients are responsible for 25% of the cost.

When the funding is approved by ADP, the client can take the prescription and letter of funding to a vendor of their choice.

Is physiotherapy and occupational therapy covered by OHIP?

Yes, PT and OT services are covered by OHIP when the service is requested by a physician and provided in a hospital or through North West LHIN Home & Community Care.

Do I need a doctor’s referral to see a physiotherapist or occupational therapist?

Yes, you need a doctor’s referral to attend PT or OT in the hospital. If you choose to attend a therapist in private practice, you will not need a doctor’s referral, but you will have to cover the costs yourself or through a private insurance plan. Some private insurance plans also require a doctor’s referral.

Cardiac Rehabilitation: is it for me?

If you have had a heart attack or cardiac surgery or have congestive heart failure you may be a candidate for cardiac rehabilitation. You need to have a referral from your family doctor or a cardiologist: the referral goes to the program coordinator in Thunder Bay who will arrange for assessment and stress test. The Internist will determine whether it is safe for you to participate in the cardiac rehab program.

The exercise program is supervised by a physiotherapist. The sessions are held twice a week for 1.5 hours and the program typically lasts for 3 months.

Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy in the home

The Dryden Regional Health Centre has a contract with the North West LHIN Home & Community Care to provide PT and OT service to clients in their home or school in the communities of Dryden, Vermilion Bay, Sioux Lookout, Ignace and Frenchman’s Head.

Both PT and OT also work with children who have conditions such as cerebral palsy, fetal alcohol spectrum disorder, autism and muscular dystrophy. Pre-school children are seen at home and older children are seen in the school.

Is there a fee for home care services?

There is no fee for these services.

How do I access physiotherapy or OT in my home?

Patients can call the North West Home & Community Care Intake directly to arrange for service (1-877-661-6621). Many patients are referred by a physician or Nurse Practitioner.