What will happen if patients need to be transferred to a larger hospital with specialized care?
- Clients requiring specialized care can be transferred to larger centres through the provincial Critical Call system and the ORNGE air ambulance.
- The majority of patients who require more specialized care are transferred to Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre or Winnipeg Health Sciences Centre, St. Boniface General Hospital.
- Your care team will work to facilitate patient transfers in a manner that is clearly understood and provides the best opportunity for a full recovery
- If you are admitted to another hospital and are discharged from that hospital, and do not require further in-hospital treatment, you will be responsible for finding your own transportation home.
Can I bring a family member with me to accompany me in the Emergency Department?
- Yes, you can bring a family member or a support person to the ED but this is limited to one person per patient because of the limited space. It is not appropriate for children to visit in the ED as it is a high traffic area and may become very hectic and congested.
I was seen in Emergency and someone called me from the Family Health Team to arrange my appointment.
- The Patient Navigator (Community Service Guide) follows-up with patients who are seen in Emergency to ensure that any referrals to other healthcare providers have been received and appointments made.